The 48th annual Maui Marathon will be this Sunday and drivers should expect traffic delays, road closures and re-routing throughout the morning of the event and until approximately 1:30 p.m.
The Marathon starts in Kahului at 5 a.m. and the Half-Marathon, 10K and 5k races will begin starting at 5:30 a.m. in front of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.
Several off-duty Maui police officers will be posted throughout the course directing traffic for the safety of all runners.
The Race Directors of the Maui Marathon would like to thank the community for their patience so that the runners may enjoy a safe and pleasurable event.
Here is a list of road and lane closures and times:
- Ho’okele Street (South Bound), from Hana Highway to Mokulele Highway – closed to traffic from 4:15 a.m. through 5:30 a.m.
- Mokulele Highway (Kahului bound), from Ho’okele Street to Airport Access Road – closed to traffic 4:15 a.m. through 5:30 a.m.
- Kuihelani Highway/Dairy Road/Puunene Avenue intersection will be regulated by off-duty police officers from
4:30 a.m. through 6 a.m.
- Kuihelani Highway, outer Kahului bound lane, from Puunene Ave to Honoapiilani Highway will be closed
allowing for a large safe travel area for runners while leaving the inner lane open for vehicular traffic.
- Honoapiilani Highway, Wailuku bound lanes within the Pali tunnel, will be closed from 5:30 a.m. through 11 a.m. to give runners safe travel through the tunnel. Two off-duty police officers, one on each side, will be posted at the
tunnel and alternate traffic flow through the tunnel.
- Entire length of Front Street, Wailuku (south) bound lane only, will be closed from 4:15 a.m. through approximately 1 p.m.
- The entire mauka lane of Kaanapali Parkway will be closed for the duration of the event and will result in contraflow of traffic to resorts and Whalers Village.
- Set-up of finish line will start Saturday and traffic on the Kaanapali Parkway mauka lane specifically from the Westin Maui Resort & Spa and Kaanapali Beach Hotel will be closed. Contraflow of traffic will be established to resorts and Whalers Village.
- Kekaa Drive will be closed from the Kualapa Loop to the Kaanapali Parkway from 2 a.m. through 1 p.m. Traffic from the Royal Lahaina Resort and residents will enter and exit from the Honoapiilani Highway. Entry to Kaanapali Parkway will only be accessible from the Honoapiilani Highway.