Breaking News

MAYORWatch: How Does Someone Add More Streetlights and/or Flashing Crosswalks to a Street?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: How does someone add more streetlights and/or flashing crosswalks to a street? It’s dangerous crossing the street in Wailuku and I would like to see some installed near my workplace. Mahalo for your time.

Answer: Thank you for sending me this question and I would be more than happy to help. I’ve contacted staff in our Department of Public Works, Engineering Division, about your concern and they’ve asked if you could call to make a formal request for a streetlight or flashing light/beacon.

Staff can help walk you through an application request, though each has a different process. Streetlight requests will need to go through the Public Works Commission, while flashing beacons would be reviewed by the Department. Staff would evaluate the location on whether it meets their guidelines, and if it does, the beacons can be installed as funding is available.

For more information and to download a Streetlight Application, click here and look under Forms & Applications. To reach the Department of Public Works, Engineering Division, call 270-7745.

Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]



Check Also

Central Maui Regional Sports Complex Closed for Maui Lani Roundabout Construction

The Central Maui Regional Sports Complex is closed due to the construction of the Maui …